Life in Charlotte County & Punta Gorda, FL
We are a home builder and remodeler on the West Coast of Florida -- which we believe is the "Best Coast"! Most of the homes built by Sage Homes are located in one of nature's finest settings: the unspoiled and unique Charlotte County.
Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf Islands are known to visitors and locals alike as a tranquil getaway on Florida's Southwest Gulf Coast. This area is one of Florida's premier Eco-tourism destinations, as it is away from the crowds and off the beaten path. However, I-75 provides a convenient way to visit both the Sarasota and Tampa Bay area and its many attractions to the North, as well as the Fort Myers / Naples areas and their attractions to the South. A two and a half hour drive from Orlando puts you within easy reach of the destinations your friends and family want to see during their visit.
SAIL Magazine has ranked Charlotte Harbor as one of the "10 Greatest Places to Sail" and the area offers world-class boating and fishing. With 5 National Wildlife Refuges in the area, there’s an abundance of ways for residents and visitors to explore nature, including photography excursions and birding opportunities. Everyone can enjoy the area's thriving arts community, as well as unique dining and shopping experiences. Charlotte Harbor is the type of place where hospitality matters, the people are friendly, and the pace of life is akin to the rhythm of the tides.
Some Quick Facts About Charlotte County
- In 1921, the County was established. The population is just under 160,000 people according to most recent census data.
- The county seat is Punta Gorda, FL.
- The county is 701 square miles and 448,640 acres.
- There are 190 miles of saltwater, 175 miles of freshwater, and 365 miles of canals.
- Charlotte Sports Park is the spring training home to the Tampa Bay Rays, as well as home to the AA baseball team, the Stonecrabs.
- Charlotte Harbor is the 2nd largest estuary in Florida and the 17th largest in the nation. It is fed by the Peace and Myakka Rivers and encompasses 270 miles.
- The Peace River, which finds its terminus in Charlotte Harbor, is 105 miles long, and is one of the longest rivers in the state. The Spanish are credited for naming the waterway in 1544 as the Rio de la Paz or "River of Peace".
- The county is home to some of the best places to play golf and tennis. The area was ranked as the "3rd Best in America" place to live and play golf, according to Gold Digest.
- Approximately 84% of Charlotte Harbor is preserved land.
- There are a total of 53 trails / 197.9 miles of kayak/canoe blueway trails throughout Charlotte Harbor.
- The Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park is the 4th largest state park, of which 30,000 are in Charlotte County. This park boasts a range of hiking opportunites including the Old Datsun Trail
- Babcock/Webb Wildlife Management Area encompasses 79,013 acres (or 124 square miles) of the largest undisturbed pine flatwoods in SW Florida, and the 7th largest management area in the state.
- The relay shoreline mileage for Charlotte County is 830 miles, according to the Florida Marine Research Institute. This includes mangrove edged aquatic preserve, river passages, and 39 miles of sandy beaches.
Punta Gorda Isles
Our model home is located in the desirable golf and waterfront community of Punta Gorda Isles. Conveniently located to downtown restaurants and entertainment, our own recently-expanded airport, and I-75 for easy access to points North & South, PGI is the heart of the City.
For the past several years, Sage Homes has sponsored the Community-Wide Garage Sale held each Spring via the print advertising and creating & distributing community maps to the participating homes. Check back here for the updated maps.
Leadership Charlotte is a program run by the Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce, develops new and existing community leaders by providing an experiential education as to the heritage, resources, opportunities and business environment in Charlotte County.
Paul (Jr.) is a member of Leadership Charlotte (Class of 2012 – Go Blue!). Paul's Class' project was to put on The Night of Knights, an evening of medieval majesty and fun in support of local charities on June 2, 2012.
Paul (Jr.) is a member of Leadership Charlotte (Class of 2012 – Go Blue!). Paul's Class' project was to put on The Night of Knights, an evening of medieval majesty and fun in support of local charities on June 2, 2012. All proceeds went to benefit the Virginia B. Andes Volunteer Community Clinic and The Yah Yah Girls Back Pack Kids. The clinic provides no-cost episodic medical services and prescription medication to the uninsured and working poor of Charlotte County. The Yah Yah Girls are a group of women who deliver back packs full of healthy, non-perishable, child-friendly food to the less fortunate children of Charlotte County elementary schools. The Night of Knights featured a performance by The Boogie Men along with Medieval-Themed Games, Pig Roast Buffet, Sword Fighting Demonstration, Belly Dancing, Cash Bar and Silent Auction. For more information regarding Leadership Charlotte, contact the Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce.